In 1952 a new organization, known as the Women’s Guild of the St. Paul Civic Opera, entered the Twin Cities music scene. As an auxiliary to the St. Paul Civic Opera Company, its mission was to help sell tickets for performances and to support the opera company by raising funds to offset expenses.
In 1962, the Candlelight Dinner was created and was primarily a social event. Educational programs in the schools began in the early 60’s and fundraising reached a new level. In 1976, the St. Paul Civic Opera merged with Minnesota Opera, and the Women’s Guild voted to remain an independent organization - the only one of its kind in the nation. The following year the Guild's name was changed to Twin Cities Opera Guild, Inc. to reflect the changing times and its new independent status. Opera Education became the principal mission of the new Guild.
The Metropolitan Opera Auditions Program came under the auspices of Twin Cities Opera Guild in 1987. Over the years, several generations of students have benefited from quality Outreach Programs. Some of them are now music teachers, or music professionals. Many are undoubtedly parents, passing on to their children the appreciation for opera and music which they first experienced at Twin Cities Opera Guild programs.
The Guild looks forward to serving future generations of children and young adults, encouraging the love of fine music and a passion for the pageantry of opera. In today's world, TCOG's mission is more important than ever.
In 2013, the Guild reached 16,715 students. The fact that this number of students were inspired by TCOG Opera Outreach Programs and that their lives might be changed forever is a major mission accomplishment.